Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Slice of Life: Sliver of Seconds


Almost everyday in school there are slivers of time when I pause and extremely thankful for the little moment that just occurred. Sometimes it is a split second. Those little moments are never on my lesson plans. My morning includes our specials and language arts block. A huge block of time which I am grateful for everyday, but still can't seem to fit everything in from my lesson plans.  Almost everyday at lunch Sarah asks me, "How was your morning?"  My response "Good except I didn't stick to my lesson plans again." 

Thinking about my lesson plans, I was trained 30 years ago on how to write my LP. Thank goodness for Bonnie Chambers at BGSU who stressed in 1984 the importance of strong book choices as the foundation for great LA lessons. Lately,the past few years, is that lately? My lessons plans haven't been about what I was teaching that specific day during that specific time. It's been about big thinking including conversations with my literacy coach (thanks Gretchen) rereading professional books, looking at summer notes from Allwrite etc. I am realizing that my lesson plans are the big ideas, and I know the standards as well as the implementation so I am not going to be so hung up on the what I typed inside the LP boxes.  There is a sense of freedom in not being locked into 11:00 Monday and more importantly I am open for those slivers of seconds which is why I am a teacher.   Thanks to all the slicers here is the link up for this week. 


5 comments:

  1. I never stick to my lessons. I don't even know why I write them. Well, yes, because they are required. I have learned how to write them well and quickly, but the actual lesson is so much more. It's the little moments of sharing, caring, and extending the learning that matter more than any plan could ever muster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When your teaching is that automatic, that from the heart, you have really come to an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this says it all, Maria: "more importantly I am open for those slivers of seconds which is why I am a teacher. " And those are, very often, the slivers our kids remember best, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this! SO true!! "I am open for those slivers of seconds which is why I am a teacher."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those slivers of seconds really are golden aren't they? Great post.

    ReplyDelete